- A brief history of celestial cartography and some statistics on all constellations
- A comprehensive guide to all constellations: charts, objects, bright stars data, etc.
- Stars sorted by constellations, with photos and stories...
- Almost a thousand named stars with translation of their names.
- SkyTour - a popular and comprehensive introduction to astronomy, stars, their properties, planets, nebulae etc. So, If you have the binos and want to explore the sky - this is for you!
- An expert? Try then a Constellation Quiz! Very friendly and nice.
- A nice private collection of constellation photos.
- 150 Closest stars - comprehensive data.
- Star Chart - incedibly useful site! Creates star charts in seconds for any point in the sky. Stars - up to 12 magnitude!!! Names and labels are also provided.(ps format)
- Sky photo archive - generates photo images 15 arcmin×15 arcmin around a given point. As far as I could figure out, stars up to 15th magnitudes are visible. (gif format)
For ancient people stars themselves and the figures they formed
were of a great mystical meaning. That's why half of the Greek mythology can be now found in the sky, mostly as names of constellations...
Stars: an insight
Do you realize that we humans are made of cosmic dust which appeared after a tremendous star explosion billions years ago...
- The Nine Planets - a guide to Solar System. Really cool site!
- A large (140K) list of sources of planetary photos, available on the Web.
- A brilliant survey of how much people wanted to find planets inside Mercury or outside Pluto, to find the second Earth's moon or the companion star of our Sun... And with some success!!!
Did you know that all features on the Venusian surface are named after famous women?..
There was indeed life on Mars!..
How large are the particles in Saturn's rings? From grains of sugar to the size of a house.
Did you know that Saturn is not the unique planet to have rings? Jupeter, Uranus and Neptune have them also.
By the way, Charon, Pluto's moon, was discovered only 20 years ago.